Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A.L.I.V.E.

But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Philippians 3:20

One of my Bible professors used to always say, "As Christians we need to always be cross-eyed and crown headed." I spent all of last year being "cross eyed," completely focused on the cross that Jesus came to die upon to pay for my sin. The cross is something that I can endlessly study, meditate on, and it never leaves me feeling bored or content, but leaves me humbly living in obedience to God, denying myself, and taking up my cross daily (Luke 9:23).

However, the part of being "crown-headed" never really clicked until a couple of months ago. My teacher really meant that we are to push for eternal rewards (crowns), but all I need as my treasure and reward is Jesus Christ. I have been thinking and processing the reality of heaven and eternity a lot lately. I think, as Christians, we know heaven is real, we know we will be there eventually, but do we really know how real it is? The same Bible professor who used to tell us to live this way also used an acronym A.L.I.V.E. (Always Living In View of Eternity). Really think about that, we would live different if we consistently thought in an eternal perspective.

How would we engage people differently? How would we react to temptation when it stares us right in the face? Would our obedience to the Word of God go far beyond orthodoxy (right knowing) and move on to orthopraxy (right doing)?

Lately I just keep thinking what it will be like seeing Jesus face to face, really, think about that moment. The tears flowing, seeing the unseen that you had faith in (Hebrews 11:1), and literally talking with God the Son who saved you from eternal separation from Him. Can you imagine? What about understanding all the mysteries of God? Finding out what your job will be for all eternity? Talking with Moses, Paul, Elijah, Stephen, relatives, people who trusted in Christ because of you and you don't even know them? What about the thought of no more tears (Revelation 21:4), no more sin, no more abandonment?

Those are just some things I wanted to share that I have been processing lately. Think about these things. Sometimes we get so caught up in life, obedience, hurt, happiness, etc. that we forget to ponder what IS to come. Praise God for these things, all the glory to Him!

Also, listen to the new Phil Wickham CD titled Heaven and Earth. Phil is an amazing singer/songwriter and his new album is all about eternity. It has brought me to tears numerous times as I praise God for the truth of eternity.


No comments: