Saturday, August 1, 2009

Spiritual Gift: Prophecy

The spiritual gift of prophecy is found in 4 areas of the Bible: Romans 12:6, 1 Corinthians 12:10, 1 Corinthians 12:28, and Ephesians 4:11. Prophecy is the God-given ability to receive direct revelation from God, proclaim the revelation for the encouragement of the body, and even some prophets can predict the future (from God). Throughout the Old Testament, we have a ton of prophetic books...from Jeremiah to Malachi.

God used these prophets to warn Israel of future destruction, blessing, and covenants. For some of the bigger and clearer example of prophecy, read Isaiah 52:12-53:12; Jeremiah 31:1-40; Psalm 22; these are just a few among MANY!! We also see examples prophecy in the New Teastament: Acts 21:11; Ephesians 2:20; 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21; and all throughout 1 Corinthians 12-14.

So what about today? Do we see prophecy still, and if so, what is the prophets purpose? Once again, I believe all the gifts are for today but alot of churches don't encourage them. In Romans, Paul instructs prophets to only prophecy when the Holy Spirit is leading or directing them to do so. Also, in Ephesians 4:11-12 prophets are called to equip or train others in the Church (alongside the teachers, evangelists, apostles, and shepherds), so the Church can do work for the ministry. That's right...everyone should be doing work for the ministry!!!

If you have the gift of prophecy, you should be 1)Using it 2)Using it when led by the Holy Spirit 3) Using it for the encouragement of the church.

3 comments:

mo said...

I know we haven't talked much lately, but I thought you would love to know that this gift is still being used today. That God's spirit has poured out on all flesh, and his sons AND daughters are prophesying (Joel 2:28). He revealed the gift a long time ago to me, and after a lot of prayer and fasting I came to accept it's role in my life. I'd love to share more about it with you. But either way, I just wanted you to know. And thank you for the last 16 days.
Mo

Wes Van Fleet said...

Give me some examples, it would be good for everyone to read...if you don't mind?

mo said...

Well, prophecy isn't just for prediction of the future. But also, like you said, to encourage. My writing specifically-- letters, stories, blogs, all come from something the Lord has revealed to me. It may one day be a blog that is meant to encourage others on their spiritual journey, or it may be a story that comes from something the Spirit laid on my heart. And most often it's a letter that I'm inspired to write to someone who needs the Lord's comfort and encouragement.

But no matter what, there is a specific reason I write. And he's shown me the blessings that come not just to others but to me as well when I share my writings.

It is only one aspect of prophecy, but the purpose and the honor God has given me is one I do not take lightly. And I find great joy in sharing the things God has poured into me. I hope this is what you were asking for.