Sunday, April 12, 2009

Are you New?


Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. -2 Corinthians 5:17

On February 9, 2005 I trusted in Jesus Christ with all my life. This was not an, "Ok...I believe a set of facts; Jesus died and was resurrected 3 days later for my sins so I can go to heaven. This is not TRUST!! To truly be regenerate (born again) we must have a complete trust in Jesus Christ.
When this happens, something crazy will follow. You will change. The old nasty person you once were will start rapidly changing and conforming into the image of Jesus Christ. This should be unstoppable!! We are given God the Holy Spirit when we trust in Jesus. This combined with our understanding of our salvation and what we were saved from (eternal torment), should produce good works (James 2:14-26; please read).

When I trusted in the works and person of Jesus Christ, I had friends who did the same...I think. However, there has been no visual change in their lives. When I ask them about their relationship w/ Jesus they usually say, "What do you expect Wes...reading the Bible and praying isn't for everyone. You are the weird pastor dude!!!" This kills me inside, because trusting in Christ is not believing a set of facts so you can get a free ride to heaven, because that will only get you on an elevator that goes down.

Here is a quick litmus test to whether or not you are saved by Jesus:
No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God. By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.  -1 John 3:9-10   

Yes we all sin, but when you do it purposely thinking that it is okay because Jesus died for you, discipline will take place, if you are saved. We must put on the armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20, please read, even post on your wall), and be in the offensive mode of killing sin. Really...KILL SIN! It is nasty and destroying this world from the inside out.

If you have not trusted in Jesus, please let me or someone who has know. It will be the best decision you can and will ever make.  

2 comments:

twin power mommy ♥ said...

I read this post the first time just after you typed it.

It breaks my heart to know what you are struggling with and to read your words...seeing the correlation between the two.

I don't really know what to say (or type) but just wanted to stop by and let you know Chris and i are still praying.

Wes Van Fleet said...

I appreciate it, I really do. It has a lot to do with that but also a lot of people I see living in a way that would defile Jesus' name. 2 Cor. 5:20 says we are ambassadors of Christ, I think we should take that serious. Ya know?