Sunday, January 18, 2009

He always shows up


There are many unexpected times when Jesus shows up and gives us a glimpse of what his love looks like. If we are on the constant lookout for this love, we would experience it more often. Today is one of those days where I feel filled with the Holy Spirit and am seeing things in the right state of mind. However, today was a hard day...a real hard day!

I do not know if it was because of the emotional rollercoaster I have gone through today, but at the right moment (God's timing) Jesus showed Himself to me and I could not hold back the tears. 

I was watching the AFC Championship game and Baltimore Ravens running back, Willis McGahee, was laid out by one of the Steelers. As McGahee laid there very hurt, I saw many of the players, both Ravens and Steelers, flood the field with concern. Many of the players, including Ray Lewis (a tough guy), went into prayer. This is where I started getting a little emotional, but then Jesus kicked me in the heart when one of McGahee's teammates approached the stretcher he was on. His buddy came and they squeezed hands with such immense caring, such concern, that I lost it! The teammate who seemed so concerned, had tears in his eyes and it just helped me see Jesus and his love in this nasty world we live in.

In John 11:35, perhaps the shortest yet most powerful verse in the Bible, John writes, "Jesus wept." In the verses leading up to verse 35, Jesus is coming to raise his friend Lazarus from the dead. Lazarus' sisters, Martha and Mary, are there and deeply saddened by their brother's death. Not because of Lazarus' death, but because of the deep sadness and loss that the sisters are feeling, Jesus wept. God clearly shows He is fully human here and weeps with the women. I love Jesus!!

McGahee's teammate was weeping at the fact of his hurt friend. I loved this, needed this, and then did my duty and prayed for McGahee. Jesus loves us and understands every single thing we struggle with. Pain, hurt, confusion, embarrassment, etc. Give yourself to Him!

No comments: