Thursday, July 24, 2008

What Makes You?


Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. (Colossians 3:2)

As I read this today, I could not help but think about how many people set their minds on earthly things, then, when and if there is extra time, they focus on Christ. Let's be honest here, what makes you? If you were to die this instant, what would you be known for? Not what would you hope to be known for or what sugarcoated comments would your friends and family say at your funeral, but what makes you? 

I'll go first. I believe I would be known for being too upfront and honest. I believe that people would say, "Wes put his passion in pursuing a life of ministry before Jesus himself." This is me being honest!! This would be my legacy!

What makes you? Are you sacrificing your dreams and goals to pay a monthly payment on your dream vehicle? If so, that is your legacy, you are the guy/girl with a cool vehicle.  Are you spending all your time focusing on your spouse or loved one and putting Jesus second? If so, that is your legacy!! Are you praying and reading scripture when you have nothing to do, but putting it on the back-burner when you have friends or girls/guys to hang out with? If so, this is your legacy!

Whether it's friends, drugs, money, music, or whatever, Jesus wants us to put him first then we will be blessed with our "other" passions!! Comment back, I would love to know your legacy!

 

4 comments:

mo said...

"It is the deepest desire of every writer, the one we never admit or even dare to speak of: to write a book we can leave as a legacy. And although it is sometimes easy to forget, wanting to be a writer is not about reviews or advances or how many copies are printed or sold. It is much simpler than that, and much more passionate. If you do it right, and if they publish it, you may actually leave something behind that can last forever."
-Alice Hoffman
from The New York Times

My writing is definitely my legacy. But with everything I write I thank the Lord for the ability he has given me to capture words in such a way. I hope my children one day will be able to read what I write and see my love for the Lord.

Wes Van Fleet said...

That is a good legacy Mo, keep it going!!!

Paul said...

great thoughts.... I love hearing honesty and I appreciate your honesty and challenges...Keep it real
Paul

Roberto Comparan said...

An old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

"My son, he said, "the battle is between two wolves."

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about that for a moment and then asked his grandfather "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

I pray that people would remember me as someone that was compassionate, kind, truthful, etc. That's the wolf I want to feed. Or as Scriptures says, the fruit I want to produce.

I pray you continue to have victory over your demons.